Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I need a vacation!

Last night, when I crawled into bed, that's what I thought: I need a vacation. Actually, it was this morning when I crawled into bed, since it was after midnight. There is so much I need to get done this week. I stayed up until after midnight to finish reading a book that's due back at the library tomorrow. I could have just returned the book, and checked it out again to read after vacation, but no, I had to stay up late and finish. That's been the story of my life this week. We leave on vacation in less than 48 hours, and I'm still trying to finish up projects here and there (like updating my blog) instead of just doing the bare minimum that needs to be done. 

 


 

 
So, back to the book. I got excited when I saw that there was a new book in the Bug Man series. Nick Downs has written a series of suspense novels based on the character Nick Polchak. Nick is, shall we say, an unusual character. He loves the world of insects--he'd rather spend time with bugs than with humans! Nick is a forensic entomologist: he helps to solve crimes by studying the insects on and around dead bodies. These aren't the kind of books you read while you're eating lunch, but if you enjoyed the old Quincy TV show, they'd probably be right up your alley. The series started with “Shoo Fly Pie” and “Chop Shop.” Then there was “Plague Maker,” “First the Dead,” “Less than Dead” and “Ends of the Earth.” The newest book in the series was the one that kept me up last night, "Nick of Time." Nick is getting married, but days before the wedding, is drawn into investigating the murder of a long-time friend and fellow scientist. I loved the book, with its quirky humor and plot twists that caught me off guard. The end left me thinking that there is definitely another Bug Man novel on the horizon. Hooray!  If you want to read "Nick of Time," I would strongly suggest that you start at the beginning and get to know the world of Nick Polchak first. Have fun!  

Time to get back to my to-do list!





No comments:

Post a Comment