Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gluten-Free Fruit & Nut Scone

I'm not sure what the reason was... maybe I'm feeling like I'm not completely ready to commit to my diet again after vacation. Maybe I was still feeling deprived, after a week of seeing all sorts of pastries, danishes and muffins that I couldn't eat on the cruise, because they weren't gluten-free. Whatever the reason, I really wanted something baked for breakfast this morning.

I started looking for the recipe I made once before for Gluten-Free Scones. The last time I made them, I had some dried tropical fruit in the pantry that the girls didn't care for, so I tossed that in with some pecans, and made a delicious tropical scone. Rooting around in the pantry this morning, I found some dried pineapple and decided to make a Pineapple-Almond Scone.
First, I had to find the recipe. That was a bit of a challenge. I looked through the pile of "recently tried and waiting to be tried" recipes on the kitchen counter. Nope. I pulled out my notebook with photocopies and computer printouts of gluten-free recipes. Of course, I started in the back of the notebook, and the recipe I was looking for was the first one at the front. The first ingredient was "gluten-free flour mix," and my supply of that was depleted, so I had to go through the notebook again to find a recipe for mixing up more flour. By the time I refilled my big glass jar with a blend of flours (rice flour, sorghum flour, cornstarch, potato flour and tapioca flour), the kitchen table was a mess of flour!


I got them all mixed up and popped the scone into the oven, then got ready for work as they baked. I noticed that my shorts were covered in flour, too. I was going to toss them in the laundry, but then I remembered that I need to make "real bread" for the  rest of the family tonight. I guess I'll get them a little messier before washing them.

The scones were delicious, and as I was driving to work, I was thinking of what other dried fruit/nut combinations I could do: Cherry/Almond, Date/Walnut, Apple/Pecan.

So, here's my recipe. The next time I need it, I'll know right where to find it!

Gluten-Free Fruit & Nut Scones
2 cups gluten-free flour mix
1/2 tsp Stevia Extract (or your choice of sweetener to equal 1/2 c sugar)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
6 Tbsp cold butter
1/2 c chopped nuts
1/2 c dried fruit
6 oz Dannon Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp water

Combine the flour mix, Stevia, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in a bowl. I prefer a wide, shallow bowl since I'm using a pastry blender. Add the butter and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, until the bits of flour & butter are pea-sized or smaller. Mix in the fruit & nuts. Beat the egg in a separate bowl and add the yogurt to the egg, beating until well blended. Mix into the flour mixture. Mix until it all comes together, adding a little water if necessary. Turn dough out onto a greased cookie sheet and press into a circle about 1" thick. Use a fork to score the dough into 8 pieces. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment