Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gyros go gluten-free! Yum!

Tonight was time for experimenting at my house. Gyros were on the menu, but I needed a bread to go with them. Something like a whole-wheat pita, but gluten-free. I looked around on the internet and found a recipe that looked pretty good, but I didn't have a few of the ingredients. I made some changes, exchanging one gluten-free flour for another, and changed the way it was prepared... from spreading the batter into a pan and cutting it into squares to making thin circles with my tortilla press. It turned out very well!

Gyro on gluten-free flatbread

Okay, first the recipe for gluten-free flatbread: 
1 cup sorghum flour
½ cup quinoa flour (I put 1/3 c quinoa through the grain mill)
⅓ cup tapioca flour
⅓ cup cornstarch
1/3 c potato starch
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tsp yeast

1 cup warm water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Combine dry ingredients (flours, cornstarch, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt & yeast) in mixer. Mix until well blended. Mix water, olive oil, honey and apple cider vinegar in measuring cup - add all at once to dry mixture and mix at low speed until the mixture resembles cookie dough.

Roll dough out very thin, 1/4 cup at a time. I used my tortilla press - using saran wrap sprayed with cooking spray to keep the dough from sticking to the tortilla press.
I ended up with 8 small (and 1 very small) flatbreads.

I let the flatbreads rise on the back of the stove for half an hour while I mixed up the Gyros. They didn't rise much. Next time, I might let them rise a little longer. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.

Gyros
1 lb ground beef or lamb
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c minced onion
Mix all ingredients. If you have the time, refrigerate for an hour or two for flavors to blend. Most days, I only let it stand for 10 minutes or so. Make into patties and fry or grill until no longer pink.

Dressing:
1/2 c non-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 c chopped cucumber
1/2 c chopped tomato
Blend all dressing ingredients together until smooth

To assemble your Gyro, put a meat patty on your flatbread with some lettuce and chopped tomato. Accessorize with Feta cheese, pickled banana peppers, and/or black olives. Drizzle some yogurt dressing over the top and enjoy! 


These gluten-free flatbreads held up well to being folded in half with the Gyro filling... it was almost like having a pita pocket again! 




No comments:

Post a Comment