Saturday, September 24, 2011

By Request... my Spaghetti Sauce Recipes

I mentioned on Facebook today that I was canning spaghetti sauce, and somebody mentioned she'd love to have my recipes... 


Hey, it's nice to share! 


I started making my own spaghetti sauce about ten years ago. It seemed like every time we got a favorite sauce from Ragu or Prego, they would discontinue it! This sauce was based on a chunky tomato-spinach sauce we used to get. Here's my recipe for a single-serving batch, if I'm making it for dinner using home-canned tomatoes: 



Spaghetti Sauce
2 Tbsp dried onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp oil
1 qt tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 can mushrooms
1/2 c spinach, chopped
meatballs (My family likes Mama Lucia meatballs. Yes, I "cheat" by using frozen meatballs!)
Combine all ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.

And here is the canning recipe. This makes about 6 quarts of sauce.

Home-Canned Spaghetti Sauce
¾ c dried minced onion 
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 c oil
6 qt tomatoes, peeled and chopped
6 cans (6 oz) tomato paste
½ c sugar
3 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
3 c chopped spinach
Combine all ingredients, simmer 20 minutes. Pour into hot jars, pressure can 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment