Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gluten-Free Berry-Nut Muffins

I went berry-picking yesterday. It's still early in the season, so it was slim pickin's. I only got a handful of black raspberries, but then I discovered a tree with black berries on it! I picked what I could from the ground, but only got about a cupful.

This is a picture of the branch I broke off and brought home. I've got it in water, hoping it will take root and I'll be able to plant my own blackberry tree. According to an online tree identification site, it's a mulberry tree. You can see a couple of white berries on the stem over at the left.

So, this morning I had a cupful of berries, and felt like getting creative, so I took a recipe for chocolate chip muffins, tweaked it a bit, and made some Berry-Nut muffins that turned out really well.  Sometimes gluten-free muffins look a little too pale. With the blueberry yogurt, these browned up very nicely. Here's the recipe:

Berry-Nut Muffins
3/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c brown rice flour
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
6-oz container Blueberry yogurt (I used Yoplait)
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 c oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup berries
1/4 c chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds)

Preheat oven to 350. Put paper liners in cupcake pan. Combine cornstarch, brown rice flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Add yogurt, vinegar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in berries and nuts. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment