Sunday, April 29, 2018

The Taco Blanket

I was cleaning up around my chair and picked up the remnants of a Caron Pounder skein of Sunflower. I had pulled it out to make the blanket for a Master's Blankey lovey (which just sold from my Etsy shop last week), and didn't put it back into my yarn stash. I have been kicking around the idea of making a taco blanket, so I started to wing it...

I used a K hook and two strands of worsted weight yarn held together. I think I had about five ounces of the Sunflower and a pale yellow. Basically, I worked until I ran out of yarn, and ended up with a baby-sized blanket. I was at 12 dc between increases when I ran out.  For my second taco blanket, I went up to a bigger hook, I think it is an N, and the blanket has a better drape. Two 7-ounce skeins of worsted weight yarn gave me a blanket about 38" across. 

Row 1: 8 DC in Magic Ring
Row 2: DC increase in each stitch  (16)
Row 3: DC, DC increase, repeat around (24)
Row 4: DC, DC increase, repeat around (36) (I broke the pattern of putting one more DC between increases here, because the blanket seemed to be cupping inward)
Row 5: 2 DC, DC increase, repeat around (48)
Keep going, adding one more DC between increases, until your circle is the size you want it to be.

When I got up to 4 DC between increases, I started staggering the increases. For instance, for (6 DC, DC increase), I would do three DC, then my increase, then start counting 6 DC between. At the end of the row, instead of ending with an increase, I would have the 3 leftover. This keeps your circle from having definite points.

Hamburger Row:
With two strands of brown (one dark, one a little lighter) and K hook, DC in one stitch, 3-DC cluster in next stitch (I would count out the number of stitches to my next increase and place a marker there, so I wouldn't have to worry about counting for clusters AND counting for increases.

Lettuce Row
With two strands of green and K hook, 2 DC in one stitch, 2 TR in next, repeat around.

Cheese Row:
With 1 strand of orange and H hook, slip stitch around a stitch between hamburger and lettuce. Chain 4, slip stitch to the next stitch in same row. Repeat around.

Tomato chunks: Make 15-20 to place around on meat & lettuce layer. I used one strand of red and an H hook.
Chain 2. 3 HDC in second chain from hook. Chain 1, turn.
2 HDC in first stitch. Chain 2, skip one stitch, 2 HDC in last stitch.

Sour Cream:
With two strands of white and K hook, join with a slip stitch to the lettuce layer. SC, HDC, DC, 2 TR, DC, HDC, SC, Slip stitch. Finish off and tuck in yarn ends. Repeat at random spaces around circle.
Second taco blanket... I used a burnt orange boucle with the brown to make it look like taco meat & cheese together.


7 comments:

  1. I am having a difficult time following your pattern. Can you please explain the hamburger row more clearly? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As stated earlier in the pattern, you're adding one more DC between increases... so if you're at 13 DC between increases, for instance, count over 13 stitches and place a marker on the next stitch so you know you're increasing there. For the bumpy texture of the hamburger row, I alternated DC and a cluster of three DCs (here is a link for doing a 3-dc cluster stitch: https://newstitchaday.com/how-to-crochet-the-three-double-crochet-cluster-stitch/ ) Since I'm doing another dc right next to the cluster, I don't do step 8 (secure cluster with a chain stitch).
    You basically start a DC, but don't finish off the last two loops, start another DC, then another, then pull through all the loops on the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work.
    cotton sheets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops for some reason I'm just seeing this now, almost a year later. Thank you for your kind comment. This week has been difficult, with the anniversary of my mother's passing, discouragement with my Etsy shop, and a difficult situation at work, so your happy comment was good medicine!

      Delete
  4. While I appreciate this pattern being free, it is difficult to understand the amount of yarn in each colour that is needed. For example, 2 7-oz skeins produced a 38” taco shell, but 2 colours were used, so is that 2 skeins of each colour? And how many skeins are needed of the other colours to complete the taco?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote this up three years ago, so many of the details are fuzzy. I weighed the blanket and it is less than one pound, so it was one 7-ounce skein of each color for the basic shell. The other colors used less than a four-ounce skein of each color. Small items like the "cheese" and "sour cream" were such small amounts that I used leftovers from my scrap box.

    ReplyDelete