Friday, March 7, 2014

Girl Minion Hat



Yes, I'm still stuck in Minionland... After my success with a girl hand puppet and scarf, I decided to see how it would look in a hat...I took a basic double crochet beanie, and did some orange for the hair, a bit of yellow, a black strip for the goggles, some more yellow, and then three rows of green with some white clusters. Then I added the eye, a mouth, and some pony-tails, and here she is!




Pattern?
For all of my basic beanies, I pull up one of the patterns from Repeat Crafter Me. She has a wonderful assortment of patterns in loads of sizes. I made up the chart below for this hat, and laminated it to go into my pattern notebook, so I can make this up in any size.

Size H Hook
Knitting Worsted in Orange, yellow, brown, white, black, silver/gray, and green
Sew-on gemstone or small black button

Basically, you start out with worsted weight yarn and a size H hook. For all sizes, the first four rounds are the same:
Round 1: 11 DC in a magic ring.
Round 2: 2 DC in each stitch (shown in chart as 0 stitches between increases)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next stitch, repeat around <shown in chart as 1 (33)>
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next two stitches, repeat around. (44 stitches)

Keep going with increases/color changes as shown in the chart for the size you wish.

For the skirt, the pattern is 3 DC in green, then a white cluster (with white yarn, *YO, draw up loop, pull through two loops* three times <you're making 3 DC without doing the last part of each stitch>, pull yarn through 4 loops.

For the next row, you'll start out the row with two green DC, then a cluster, so your white cluster is centered between those in the row below. Third row of skirt is the same as the first. Then I finished off with a row of SC in green.

Eye: With brown, 8  HDC in magic ring. Pull right and join.
Round 2: With white, 2 HDC in each stitch around. (16)
Round 3: With white, 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next, repeat around (24)
Round 4: With gray or silver (I used two stands of Vanna White's metallic yarn, 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 3 stitches, repeat around. End off, leaving long tail to sew on. Sew a sew-on gemstone or small black button to the center.

For a smaller size hat, I do the silver for round 3 rather than 4, to make the eye smaller.

Mouth: With black yarn, chain 10. End off, leaving long tail to sew on.

Hair: Cut 12 strands of orange yarn about 20" long. Thread through hat at side of rows 3 & 4 (I did three strands in row 3 & 3 strands in row 4). Pull through evenly and braid tightly (since you're doubling it, you will have 12 strands of yarn to braid.) Tie tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment