Thursday, February 6, 2014

Stitch Sampler Infant Hat



Stitch Sampler Infant Hat
My fingers are still itching to clear out some of my scrap yarn... so I did some more "what if I..." work last night. I played with stitches and colors, and look at what popped off the hook! My finished hat is about 15” in diameter and measures 5.5” from top to bottom. According to the chart I was working from, that should be the right size for a 6-month old baby. However, the only baby in that age range I could try it on is a little boy, and I think this hat is a little too frilly for him! 

Size J crochet hook
Used 1.3 ounces of yarn (knitting worsted weight) in various colors – I used 9 different colors, all balls the size of an egg or smaller. I changed colors for each round, except for the “ribbing” at the bottom. When I changed colors, I did the last stitch of the previous round (the slip stitch to join rounds) in the new color. I tried to crochet over my yarn ends as I worked, so I didn’t have a lot of loose ends to tuck in once I was done.

Abbreviations:
SS Slip Stitch
SC Single Crochet
HDC  Half Double Crochet
DC Double Crochet
FPDC Front Post Double Crochet
TR Treble Crochet

(Yellow) Round 1: In magic ring, chain 1 and make 10 SC. Join with a slip stitch in new color (10 stitches)
(Light Blue) Round 2: Chain 4, make treble stitch in joining stitch. Work 2 treble stitch in each stitch around . Join with a slip stitch in new color (20 stitches)
(Medium blue) Round 3: Chain 1, SC around with one SC between each increase.  Join with a slip stitch in new color (30 stitches)
(Light purple) Round 4: Chain 3, DC around with two DC between each increase. Join with a slip stitch in new color (40 stitches)
(Dark Purple) Round 5: Chain 1, SC around in back loop only with three SC between each increase. Join with a slip stitch in new color (50 stitches)
(Off-white) Round 6:  starting in second stitch, work the following pattern around: *SC, HDC, DC, TR, DC, HDC, SC, SS* (I ended up with one extra stitch at the end of my row. I just did an extra SS there. Join with a slip stitch in new color.
(Pink) Round 7: *Chain 5, SC in top of TR stitch. Chain 5, SC in slip stitch* repeat around. Join with a slip stitch in new color.
(Medium blue) Round 8: Chain 4, work 4 TR in same stitch as SS. SC in next SC (at top of treble stitches). 5 TR in next SC (on top of SS). Repeat around. Join with a slip stitch to top of Chain 4 with new color.
(Off-white) Round 9: Chain 3, DC in each stitch around. (I picked up a few extra and ended up with 40 stitches). Join with slip stitch.
Round 9: Chain 3 *FPDC, DC* around. Join with slip stitch.
Round 10: Chain 3 *FPDC, DC* around. Join with slip stitch.



View from the top

No comments:

Post a Comment