Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spiral Stripe Infinity Scarf

I have lots of scrap yarn. Next to my chair, I have a small laundry basket that is just small balls (half an ounce or less) of knitting worsted. I'm always trying to come up with projects that use up little bits of yarn like that.


So, earlier this week, I pulled all the small balls of yarn in light gray and blue. Then I found a half-used skein of cream-colored yarn.


I used a size 10 needle - my little 8.5" long circular needle that makes it easier to make things like mittens and narrow scarves.I love those needles, wish they came in more sizes (I have them in size 6, 8 & 10).


I cast on 35 stitches with the cream, and started my pattern of knit 3 in Main Color (Cream), 3 in contrasting color (blue or gray). Because it's one less stitch than a multiple of 3, it results in a spiral stripe, like this:

XXX___XXX___
_XXX___XXX__
__XXX___XXX_
___XXX___XXX

 I didn't use a marker to mark the beginning of a row - when I ran out of my first ball of blue yarn, I connected the gray yarn and just kept on going. When I finished with gray, I put on blue again, and so on, until the scarf was about 48" long. Then I cast off with the main color, and sewed the ends together to make an infinity scarf.


The scarf weighs 4.6 ounces, so I used about 2.3 ounces of cream and 2.3 ounces of assorted scrap yarn. I'd like to make another with just two colors... and I started one this morning with two spiral stripes going in opposite directions. I'll put up a new blog post with the pattern when that one is done.











This is my first time posting a "pattern" - so if my directions are as "clear as mud" let me know and I'll try to explain better!

No comments:

Post a Comment