Thursday, April 7, 2011

Back to Basics

It's been a while since I blogged. You know that old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"? Well, I sort of fell off the diet and exercise wagon, and didn't have much to say of a positive nature, so I was silent.

I got busy and let exercise slide. I got careless and started letting junk slip back into my meals. I avoided the scale a bit too much. On April 1st, I got up and hopped on the scale... and found that I was up ten pounds from my lowest. Not good. Not good at all. Seven weeks away from a dream trip to Hawaii and I was no closer to my goal weight than I was in January.

I decided to recommit for the month of April. I made up a challenge chart so I could check off when I got in my workouts, drank my water, and stuck to clean eating. In honor of April Fool's Day, I called it the "Stop Fooling Yourself" challenge and used a picture of Mr. T to decorate the page.

My first weigh-in, after just three days of working out and eating according to the LiveFit Revolution Phase One eating plan, showed that I was six pounds lighter. Of course, my April 1st weigh-in had been after quite a "bad food day". I was probably retaining a lot of water from the pretzels I ate. 

A week into my new resolutions, I'm feeling a lot more energetic and much better overall. I'll admit, I'm also feeling a bit sore. Yesterday's kettlebell workout used some muscles I haven't used for a while. It's a good sore, though. It shows that I'm making progress.  I'm hoping that by the end of the month, I will be seeing a brand new "lowest weight in more than twenty years" number on the scale. 

The moral of my story? When I saw that discouraging number on the scale on April 1st, I could have given in to the old way of thinking:  "You're never going to get to your goal. You're always going to be heavy. Just give up and eat whatever you want." I didn't give up. I got back on track. You don't need to be perfect to lose weight. You just need to be committed.

No comments:

Post a Comment