Sunday, July 5, 2020

How to turn on a light in ten minutes

This evening, I was sitting in my recliner, crocheting, when I realized that I needed to turn on the lamp next to my chair. Now it's not as easy as it sounds... there is a cube bookcase with my crochet supplies between me and the lamp, so I have to get up and go around the bookcase to deal with the lamp.

I gathered up my current project (a scrappy giraffe) and set it down on the ottoman to my left. I noticed that the cooling fan that is keeping me from overheating in our 90-degree weather was running low on water.

So, I head out to the kitchen to fill up the measuring cup I use to fill the water canister. It's a skinny little slot, so there's one measuring cup that works really well, without spilling. When I looked around the kitchen for it, it was on the table, next to the baked oatmeal we had for supper. Oh, yeah, that should be cool by now. I need to put it in the fridge. Well, the plastic wrap to put on top is under the sink, and when I went over to the sink, I saw that there were a few dirty dishes that needed to go into the dishwasher. I got them put into the dishwasher, washed the few items that aren't dishwasher-proof, and started the dishwasher. Of course, all that running water reminded me that I needed a bathroom break...

Coming back through the kitchen, I see the oatmeal is still out. I get the plastic wrap and get it covered, but in order to fit the pan into the fridge, I have to move stuff around. There are only two eggs left in the egg holder on the door, so I take the full dozen and refill that. Okay, now there are just two eggs left in the carton... so I cut the carton down to two-egg size, fit that nicely next to the pan of oatmeal, and put the cut-off carton on the counter to take out to recycling. Oh, there's an empty vanilla bottle, the can from the black olives I opened for lunch, and an empty tissue box too. I guess I really should take the recycling out to the garage. When I toss the vanilla bottle into the plastic, I see a gallon milk just that's in the bin, not hanging on the cord where we keep the bulky plastic jugs. I must have been in a hurry the last time I took stuff out! I put the jug on the cord, where it belonged.

Okay, where was I? I came out to the kitchen for something... Oh,yea. The water for my fan. I filled up the container, put the water into my fan, and took the measuring cup back out to the kitchen.

I finally got around to turning on the lamp... and sat in my chair, only to hear a timer going. You see, I set a timer to remind me to put the oatmeal in the fridge, but when I put it away a little early, I forgot to turn off the timer! Back out to the kitchen again!

So, now the light is on, and I can crochet... except for the fact that I opened up my laptop to type this, and as long as the laptop is out, I might as well check Facebook, and play a game or two, and check the stats in my Etsy Shop (did the promoting I do today get me any views?)

Sooner or later, I'm going to get back to my crochet project...

No comments:

Post a Comment