Friday, April 22, 2011

Time for a final push

I had a "aha" moment on Friday. My husband and I were staying at a hotel with our 13-year-old daughter, who was competing in a talent competition on Saturday morning. My puppeteer/pianist/singer is NOT a morning person, so we drove about 2 hours downstate and stayed overnight so she wouldn't have to get up at 5:30 am to leave on Saturday morning.

While we were at the hotel, I took advantage of the hotel's pool and workout room to do 2/3 of a sprint triathlon. I stepped off the length of the pool and calculated that it would take 75 laps to go 600 yards. That took me about 35 minutes. Then I figured I'd do 20 miles on the exercise bike, but the bike shorted out when I tried turning on the fan, so I ended up on the treadmill for a 5K. The trouble is, there was a full-wall mirror in front of the treadmill, so for one hour, I was treated to the view of my legs in shorts. I didn't like what I saw. How come chubby legs are so adorable on babies, and not so adorable on grown-ups?

 <--- Cute!

Not cute! -->  

In a little over 4 weeks, I will be on a Hawaiian Cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I don't think I will be 100% comfortable wearing shorts in public and showing those chubby knees. 
As of yesterday, I had 30 days to go, so I issued myself a challenge: to get out for a jog or walk every day for 30 days, and to stick to healthy eating for 30 days. I plan to jog 5 or 6 days per week, and walk the other days. So far, so good... I've been jogging to the corner and back (.8 mile - but I jog the entire distance). Yesterday I was 11 seconds above my best time. This morning, I beat my best time by 5 seconds. Once I get a little more comfortable with the .8 jog, I will add a little more and then a little more (adding the subdivision across from our house will get it up to 1.1 miles, then to the other corner and back will be 1.6 miles). 

I am upset with myself that I didn't stick to my diet and exercise program more diligently, but I'm not giving up. Little by little, bit by bit, I'll get there! 



No comments:

Post a Comment